Bladen County Schools students will be required to attend school Friday, April 18, 2014 as a make-up snow day for Friday, January 31, 2014.
Also, beginning Monday, February 10, 2014 the school day will be extended by 12 minutes per day for students and 16 minutes per day for staff through June 11, 2014 as make-up time for snow days January 28, January 29, and January 30, 2014
Per general statue 115C-84.2, the school shall provide instruction each year for a minimum of 185 days or 1,025 hours over nine calendar months for students.
School Calendars must meet the following requirements:
- Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26 and end date no later than the Friday closest to June 11 (unless a weather related calendar waiver has been approved, year-round school, charter school or cooperative innovative high school.) If waiver is approved the start date can be no earlier than the Monday closest to August 19.
- There are no educational purpose waivers for exemption of the opening and/or closing dates.
- All schools within the district must be closed all day for purposes of determining eligibility for a weather related waiver (delayed starts or early dismissals of two or more hours no longer apply).
- Covers at least nine calendar months.
- Must have a minimum of 185 days OR 1,025 hours of instruction.
- Must have at least ten (10) teacher workdays. Note: In years when Christmas is on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, nine (9) days shall be designated as teacher workdays.
- Local Boards shall designate two (2) workdays on which teachers may take accumulated vacation leave. Local Boards may designate the remaining workdays as days teachers may take accumulated vacation leave.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) annual vacation leave days.
- Have the same or an equivalent number of legal holidays occurring within the school calendar as those designated by the State Personnel Commission for State employees.
- School shall not be held on Sunday.
- Veterans Day shall be a holiday for all public school personnel and for all students enrolled in the public schools.