What is North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten?
North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten (NC Pre K) is a state-funded, pre-kindergarten program. North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten is designed to provide 4-year-old children, who may not otherwise be served, with a valuable educational experience. This program provides young children with access to a specific curriculum and preschool experience to enhance their school readiness. The North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Program standards are built on the premise that in order to be successful academically in school, children need to be prepared in all five of the major domains of development outlined by the National Education Goals Panel. Each of these domains is critical to children's well-being, in particular for their success in reading and math as they come to school. The five domains are:
- Health and physical development
- Social and emotional development
- Language development and communication
- Cognition and general knowledge
- Approaches toward learning
North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten children are required to have a health assessment upon enrollment. A developmental assessment will also be provided to identify special needs and monitor growth in the program.
Why North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten?
The purpose is to help children make a smooth transition to kindergarten so they are at a lower risk for failure. The Bladen County North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten program is designed to provide at-risk four-year-old children with an opportunity for quality preschool education.
What Does North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Offer?
North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten offers children a high-quality early childhood learning environment for children with developmental, social, and other risk factors that may affect their success in school.
What are the requirements for North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten?
- Original Certificate of Birth - 4 years old on or before August 31 of the current year
- Health Assessment & Dental Screening form completed
- Immunization Record
- Social Security Card
- Health and emergency information records
- Proof of residence (example: Light Bill, Water Bill, Phone Bill or Rent Receipt).
- Proof of Income: Current Pay Stub, W-2 Form, Award Letters)
- Four (4) consecutive pay stubs if paid weekly.
- Two (2) consecutive pay stubs if paid bi-weekly.
- Two (2) consecutive pay stubs if paid semi-monthly.
- One (1) pay stub if paid monthly or letter from employer stating wages and frequency.
- If receiving any benefits from the Social Security Administration or Employment Security Commission, submit an award letter stating the benefit amount and frequency.
- If self-employed, present a 1099 or 1040
- If receiving child support payments, submit documentation of payment amounts and frequency.
Who administers the North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten program in Bladen County?
The Bladen County Public School System administers the program in Bladen County.
What are some other things that are important to know about the Bladen County North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Program in the Bladen County School System?
- Follow Creative Curriculum and Opening the World of Learning (OWL) curriculum
- Lunch at a different time from other students
- Sit in the first four rows of the bus
- One to nine ratio of adults to students
- Always two adults with children at all times
- Screened at the beginning and end of the program
- Follow daycare laws at all times
What school sites have North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Programs?
- Bladen Lakes Primary School
- Bladenboro Primary School
- Dublin Primary School
- East Arcadia Elementary School
- Elizabethtown Primary School
- Plain View Primary School
WHO CAN I CALL TO RECEIVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE NORTH CAROLINA PRE-KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM IN BLADEN COUNTY?
Theresia Wright, Pre-K Coordinator - (910) 862-4136 ext. 10032
Ann Brown, Pre-K Director - (910) 862-4136 ext. 10013