Welcome to the Curriculum and Instruction Department Website. As a driven and focused team, we are committed to:
- Collaborate around the needs of all the schools’ stakeholders
- Make decisions based on data
- Commit to quality support to schools in real time
- Be passionate about the success of all students
- Provide authentic learning experiences for all
- Provide instructional leadership, support, and professional development to maximize learning for students in grades K-12
All public schools in the state of North Carolina adhere to the curriculum standards outlined in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study, which is comprised of the Common Core State Standards for mathematics and literacy and Essential Standards for all other curriculum areas. The state’s Standard Course of Study defines the appropriate content standards for each grade level and each high school course to provide a uniform set of learning standards for every public school in North Carolina. The goal of these research-based standards is to prepare all students to become career and college ready. While the focal point of educational thought of the past was limited toward success during the years of K-12 learning, the Common Core/Essential Standards mindset is targeted toward success well beyond completion of high school or college. Thus, the overall goal is to prepare North Carolina’s children for optimal function on a global scale.
It is our goal to ensure that our website provides links to resources and quality information. Please feel free to contact our office should you have questions or need more information.
Jason B. Atkinson, Ed.S, CETL, CeCTO
Chief Technology Officer
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Director of Federal Programs