• Parents/guardians of Bladen County Schools (BCS) students wanting to request a reassignment of school for their child(ren) are required to complete and submit a Bladen County Schools Request for Reassignment Form (one form for each child) for the reassignment to be considered.

    Requests for Reassignment

    The Request for Reassignment Form must be submitted to the BCS Central Office by June 1st, and must include the specific reason for the request and any other supporting documentation to be considered.  The Superintendent/Designee will make a determination based upon the best interests of the child, the orderly and efficient administration of the public schools, the proper administration of the school to which reassignment is requested, and the instruction, health, and safety of the pupils enrolled.  The Superintendent/Designee will render a decision and provide written notice to the parent via regular mail, certified mail, email, or any other reasonable method designed to achieve actual notice, within thirty (30) days. Requests received by June 1st for the upcoming school year will be processed and a decision made by the Superintendent/Designee no later than August 1.

    Parents/guardians may pick up a Request for Reassignment Form from the school serving the attendance area of the student’s residence, by contacting the BCS Central Office, or by downloading the Request for Reassignment Form from the BCS Student Assignment/Reassignment webpage.  Please return completed forms to the BCS Central Office at 1489 Highway 701 South, Elizabethtown, North Carolina, 28337. Forms may also be faxed to 1-855-860-6170.

    The transfer or reassignment is valid through the school calendar year for the school to which the student is reassigned.  A new request must be submitted after the student completes the grades in the reassigned school.  Exceptions to the term of assignment may be made for transfers granted pursuant to Policy 7440, Assignments/Reassignments/Transfers, or BOE Policy 4120/4125/4150 Domicile or Residence Requirements, Homeless Students and School Assignment. 

    The parent/guardian of any student reassigned to a new school at the request of the parent/guardian transfer request will be responsible for transporting the student to and from school.  Any reassignment request that is approved based upon false or misleading information will be declared void and the reassignment will be rescinded.  The student must attend school on a regular basis and abide by the school’s rules and regulations.  Excessive absences, tardiness or disciplinary referrals may be grounds for revocation of the reassignment.

    Requests for Discretionary Admission for Students who are not Bladen County Residents

    A non-Bladen County resident student whose parent/guardian plans to move into the Bladen County School District may be assigned to the school serving the student’s new domicile.  Parents who are building a house must provide a building permit showing their house is under construction in the requested assignment area. These requests will be approved or denied on the basis of criteria found in BOE Policy 7440 Assignments/Reassignments/Transfers.

    Requesting a Release from Bladen County Schools

    Bladen County residents wishing to transfer their child(ren) to another public school system, while residing in Bladen County, must complete a Request for Release Form in order to obtain a release from the BCS system.  This form must be completed annually, or as long as your child attends a school system outside of your Bladen County residence. These requests will be approved or denied on the basis of criteria found in BOE Policy 7440 Assignments/Reassignments/Transfers.


    For more detailed descriptions, please see the Forms and BOE Policies located under the Files and Links on this webpage.