Virtual Instruction Applications
Elizabethtown, NC (09/17/2021) - The Bladen County Board of Education approved a planned virtual instruction plan that will provide an opportunity for students that have an underlying medical condition or that reside with someone who is at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 to attend school virtually. This does not change the status of students who attend school in-person; they can continue to do so.
The planned virtual instruction plan, which was approved unanimously during a specially called meeting on Thursday, allows qualifying students from grades kindergarten through 12 to participate in virtual learning if approved by the principal and school district office. BCS will only allow 10 percent of student populations at each school to learn virtually. Courses through Bladen Community College are not a virtual learning option unless designated by the college.
Beginning September 17, parents can submit an application requesting virtual instruction for their child. Applications are located on the Bladen County Schools' district website at www.bladen.k12.nc.us or can be picked up at the child’s school. Applications will not be accepted after October 8, 2021; this opportunity is only being offered until October 8, 2021.
In addition to the application, a copy of the child’s attendance report from the 2020-2021 school year and a copy of the child’s report card from the 2020-2021 school year along with a medical evaluation form, which must be completed by the child’s physician, will be required. Students will not be considered for virtual instruction without a medical evaluation from their physician.
Virtual students must follow the same schedule as students who learn in person and will be required to attend virtually in a synchronous (same time) learning format. Below are several bullet points that are requirements. The complete application packet with full details can be found here.
- Virtual students must have access to a high-speed internet connection.
- Virtual students will not be provided a school issued digital device.
- Virtual students must have their webcam enabled and on during the whole school day.
- Virtual students will be required to wear their school uniform during the school day.
- An adult, age 21 or older, must be present for students during the whole school day to facilitate the student’s instruction
- Meal delivery will not be provided during the school day to virtual students.
- Transportation will not be provided to and from school for virtual students.
Upon receipt of the application and all required documentation, the request will be reviewed by the Bladen County Schools’ Virtual Learning Committee and families will be notified of the status of their request.
Applications must be submitted by parents to their childs school(s) by October 8, 2021.