East Arcadia Identified as aTargeted Support School
Posted on 10/30/2020
I hope the school year has started successfully for all of you. As a parent/guardian of a student in East Arcadia, I am writing this letter to let you know that the North Carolina State Board of Education has designated East Arcadia, as a Targeted Support & Improvement Additional Targeted Support (TSI-AT) school. As stated in ESSA Section 1111(d)(2), North Carolina had to identify schools for targeted support and improvement. TSI-AT schools in North Carolina are those that have a subgroup that is under-performing. The intent of this opportunity is to improve educational outcomes for all students, close achievement gaps, increase equity, and improve the quality of instruction.
As a TSI-AT school, East Arcadia is required to develop a comprehensive plan that specifically addresses how the school will improve student achievement. The plan will also include how our district will support us and monitor the progress of our school. The comprehensive plan will address the following areas:
- Classroom Management
- Standards-aligned Instruction
- Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Instructional Leadership
- Recruitment & Retention of Effective Teachers
- Support for Grade-to-Grade Transitions
- Implementation of a Tiered Instructional System
- Data-Driven Decision Making
- Student Support Services
- Family and Community Engagement
We have set the following goal for East Arcadia this year:
- East Arcadia will increase our School Performance Grade for English Learning Students, Hispanic Students, and Students with Disabilities by 2.5 points by the end of the 2020-2021 school year.
Our students need to experience higher achievement levels, but it will require hard work on the part of the staff, students, and families. Here are some strategies Elizabethtown Primary has implemented:
- Unique Learning Systems
- Imagine Learning
- Small-Group Instruction
- One-on-One Targeted Instruction
- Researched Based: 11 High Probability Instructional Strategies
- District Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Migrant Tutors
- ELS Tutors
Parent engagement is at the heart of our school improvement efforts. Here are some ways we can work together:
- Make sure that you and your student are aware of the academic expectations set for your student this school year. A list of learning objectives in a student-friendly language is available from your student’s teacher(s).
- Call Mrs. Wooten at 910-247-4609 if you have questions or concerns about your student or to set up an appointment to meet with a school staff member who will be working with your student.
- Make sure that your student is prepared and attends school each day.
- Monitor your student’s homework.
- Monitor the progress your student is making and attend meetings with your student’s teacher(s).
Keep track of our website and social media https://www.bladen.k12.nc.us/ea and https://www.facebook.com/Eastarcadiaschool
- Join our Parent Teacher Organization
Sounds like a lot but preparing our students so that they can succeed is not easy and is a group effort. Here are some resources available to help:
- Graduation requirements: www.ncpublicschools.org/gradrequirements/
- K-12 standards in academic subjects: www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/
- State student achievement test results: www.ncpublicschools.org/accountability/
- N.C. School Report Cards: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
We’re excited about this school year and are working to make it a success for your student. Already, we have:
- One-to-One Technology for all students
- Exceeded expected growth for the 2017-2018 school year
If you have questions about the content of this letter, please contact Mrs. Wooten at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-247-4609.