SECU Scholarship Now Open
SECU Foundation - "People Helping People" Scholarships - *Required documentation is found at the bottom of this article. Please note the application MUST be submitted as a Word Doc, not a PDF.
SECU Foundation established the People Helping People four-year scholarship program to help North Carolina public high school students attend college. SECU Foundation takes an active role in assisting communities across North Carolina and truly believes in “People Helping People!” Each of the 115 North Carolina Local Education Agencies (“LEAs”)/School Districts will receive a minimum of one scholarship for a senior to attend one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System.
Although the SECU Foundation Scholarship program wishes to recognize academic achievement, the People Helping People Scholarship has a much broader purpose; recognizing leadership, integrity and community involvement.
The SECU Foundation People Helping People Scholarship is only available to graduating public high school seniors who are either current members of State Employees’ Credit Union (“SECU”) or the child of a parent/guardian who is a member of SECU at the time of application. Membership eligibility does not include Local Government Federal Credit Union or NC Press Association Credit Union members.
Preference will be given to students whose parents or guardians and family members are public sector employees (state, local or federal government; public health; public education) who live and work in North Carolina. Additionally, preference will be given to those majoring in public service degree programs (such as Public Health, Education, Public Administration, and Public Policy).
While not a requirement, identification of a financial need, as determined by submission of a Free Application for Federal student Aid (FAFSA), will be taken into consideration by the selection committee. Scholarship recipients in good academic standing will be able to receive the scholarship up to a maximum of eight (8) consecutive semesters at the same university. Students selected should not be the recipient of other large scholarships.
We require all applicants to follow the formal application process set by the SECU Foundation. All graduating seniors meeting the stated criteria will be eligible for consideration. The criteria have been designed to give the LEA Scholarship Selection Committee flexibility in awarding the scholarship. The LEA Scholarship Selection Committee will recognize an individual in the senior graduating class deserving of an opportunity to attend college and will select recipient(s) without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religious preference, age,
national origin or disability. The LEA Scholarship Selection Committee will use the following criteria to award the SECU Foundation People Helping People Scholarship to a recipient who:
- Is either an SECU member or is eligible for membership through a parent/guardian. Student or their parent/guardian must be a member at the time of application.
- Is a senior at a North Carolina public high school who has been accepted to one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System, copy of acceptance letter must be provided.
- Is a US citizen and a resident of North Carolina under NCGS 116-143.1 and is eligible for in-state tuition.
- Best exemplifies the “People Helping People” philosophy of SECU, and has demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
- Demonstrates scholastic achievement with a maintained 2.5 or higher unweighted grade point average on a 4.0 scale and may be deserving of financial aid.
- Will use the scholarship to pay for full-time undergraduate student tuition and fees.
- Agrees to continue as a full-time student in good standing (maintained 2.5 or higher GPA) with the same university for up to eight (8) consecutive fall/spring semesters payable at $1,250 per semester. Scholarships are not transferable without prior approval of SECU Foundation.
- A written appeal for transfer must be made to the SECU Foundation prior to transfer.
- No transfers will be allowed to a university outside of the UNC System.
- Any gap in active enrollment will result in non-eligibility for funding for each semester missed.
- Is not a director, employee, or family member of a director or employee of SECU or the SECU Foundation, or a family member of a member of the scholarship selection committee. For the purpose of this scholarship program and a student’s relation to a director, employee, or selection committee member, family member includes spouse, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and spouses of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, of a selection committee member, employee or director of SECU, or employee or director of SECU Foundation. Also, for the purpose of this scholarship program and a student’s relation to a director, employee, or selection committee member, family member also includes persons living in the same residence and maintaining a single economic unit as a selection committee member, employee or director of SECU, or employee or director of SECU Foundation. However, please note that the student must be a member of SECU or be eligible for membership through a parent or guardian at the time of application to be eligible for the scholarship.
The decision of the LEA Scholarship Selection Committee will be final if all requirements have been met.